Many of us have heard the following quote by Fred Rogers (aka, Mr. Rogers) . . .
“When I was a boy and I would see scary things in the news, my mother would say to me, “Look for the helpers. You will always find people who are helping.”
We have heard the quote and now seems to be the most appropriate time to really do what it encourages us to do. Looking for the helpers and the good in the midst of what is taking place in the world currently does not in any way minimize the seriousness of the situation; it does, however, encourage us to look at it from all sides.
Look for the helpers . . .
- Many stores, Publix, Walmart, Target, Whole Foods, have special shopping hours designated for Seniors
- Publix Pharmacy has special Senior hours on Tuesdays and Wednesdays
- Country music singer, Brad Paisley and his wife, actress Kimberly Williams have a community grocery store for neighbors impacted by the recent tornadoes in Nashville and the current economy to come to get groceries. In addition, they are now taking groceries to seniors who are not able to get out and about.
- Now that children are at home, restlessness is setting in. One of my colleagues said their neighborhood arranged a four-leaf clover scavenger hunt . . . neighbors made shamrocks to display in their windows and the kids were to walk through the neighborhood (keeping the appropriate distance) and count the shamrocks!
- Atlanta Braves favorite, Freddie Freeman, has personally donated over $100,000 to support local non-profit organizations
- Another colleague mentioned she talked with several clients helping them to navigate the unemployment questions, health questions, business questions in general. After the business talk, the conversation turned more personal expressing fear and anxiety. The reassurance exchanged brought great comfort to all parties.
- Atlanta Falcons quarterback, Matt Ryan, has personally donated $100,000 to support local non-profit organizations.
- All 30 of the MLB teams are donating $1,000,000 each to support their full time and part-time employees while the leagues are unable to play.
- Distilleries across the country are making and providing at no cost hand sanitizer (not sure if it’s Jack Daniels, Tito’s or Tequila based, but it’s a helper!).
- Veterinarians are not forgetting that the pet world continues to need medical care. My vet will come to the car to pick up your dog/cat and take them into their facility and bring them back to you so you can avoid unnecessary contact with others.
- Eye witnessed at Walmart, an elderly lady standing in the empty toilet tissue aisle, saying she simply had none at home and did not know what to do. As she was leaving the store, a Walmart employee had gone to the back of the store, came out with a four-pack under his vest and just gave it to her. More tears, but tears of gratitude.
- For those of you who know me, this will come as no surprise. Remember your four-legged helpers . . . play with them, walk them, cuddle with them . . . they will help relieve anxiety and share unconditional love.
Remember, look for the helpers during these scary times. They truly are not hard to find. God bless each of us during this time.
Author: Faye McCorkle
- Individual Planning
- Human Resources
- Talent Acquisition
- Employee Development
E-Mail: [email protected]